A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that restores a decayed, broken, weak or worn-down tooth. Crowns are used to cover dental implants and root canal-treated teeth. A dental crown can be made of many different materials and placed on top of your damaged tooth. A crown fits over your entire tooth, like a snug hat. To ensure a proper fit, a small amount of enamel will be removed before bonding your new crown in place.
The main purpose of a crown is to restore strength, functionality, shape and size to a tooth, and to improve its appearance. Situations where a crown may be needed include:
- Protecting a tooth that has become weakened by decay or cracked, by holding it together and preventing it from breakage.
- Replacing an old, broken or failing tooth filling.
- Restoring a tooth that has already broken.
- Restoring a length on worn down teeth (for example from grinding).
- Covering and supporting a tooth that has a large filling if there isn’t much natural tooth structure left.
- Making a modification such as closing spaces between teeth, or reshaping or rotating teeth.
- Restoring the strength to any tooth that has undergone root canal therapy.
Whether you want a cosmetic modification on your smile, or you or your child is failing to maintain good oral health, dental crowns can help in reducing the risk of tooth decay. Dr. Soto The Downey Dentist will help you with a healthier, ore attractive smile.
START SMILING WITH MORE CONFIDENCE
We’ve made requesting an appointment simple. Just click and set up your visit. Then, if for any reason you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, or are delayed, simply call us at 562-923-7799. We look forward to seeing your smile.